Wednesday, September 16, 2009

cell phone dependence

I have just gone a whole day without using my cell phone. This shouldn't be a shocking statement, but sadly for me, it is. My reliance on this tiny digital device begins with every day as my phone alarm goes off to wake me up. I often think about the scary proposition of life without it, going back maybe 15 years ago before the cell phone boom. This was when cell phones weren't mainstream. Ownership was limited to rich people who must have thought they were so up with the Joneses for having some sweet technology that resembled a cordless brick. My life would be very different if I didn’t have the convenience of being able to talk to anyone on my contacts list when ever I wanted to.

A cell phone has become an extension of the human body, and in years to come…I don’t want to think about it. We have lost the sentimental tenderness of a hand written letter or even face to face communication. What would Juliet have done if Romeo had declared his love through a text message? But then again they both needn’t have died if she had just SMS’d him that she was going to pretend to be dead…and that she would see him later xo. It comes down to security. Whatever trouble you get in, you could always have an escape route if you have your cell phone. It’s not so much the talking, come on we are students we can’t afford to ring people but texting has changed western culture. It has become a necessity, and although I’m sure I wouldn’t actually convulse and slowly die if I didn’t have one, my death would very likely be an indirect result of not having one.

One very down to earth person told me they didn’t want a cell phone because it is just a distraction, and that too many plans are changed at the drop of a hat because the convenience of changing them is there. None of my friends seem too concerned about effects of electro-magnetic radiation, but unless I sprout a second head, neither will I. Apparently, with the increase of cell phones among young people there has been a decrease in cigarette use. Experts believe this is more than coincidence, and that the cell phone has replaced the social mechanisms of smoking. According to a UNICEF report ‘The State of The World’s Children,’ the average for the industrialized world was 93 cell phones and 59 Internet connections per 100 young people. The report said there were 94 cell phone owners and 79 Internet users per 100 Kiwis aged between 15 and 24.

In 2000, only 12 per cent of the global population had a mobile phone. "At current growth rates, global mobile penetration is expected to reach 50 per cent by early 2008," according to International Telecommunication Union's January newsletter. This would amount to more than 3.3 billion subscriptions worldwide.”

Unless we all do indeed sprout an additional body part, I can't see any decline in the popularity of the cell phone.


http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2008/02/06/tech-cellphone.html

http://www.stuff.co.nz/southland-times/columns/online/2746474/Cellphones-a-necessary-evil

1 comment:

  1. The thing I hate most about cell phone users is how some people think it is polite to text or play games while they are talking to you. And now that cell phones are getting more advanced they continue to make people antisocial in many ways. I also dislike when people think that they are so good at using a cell phone that they can drive and txt at the same time which would be fine if they only hurt themselves as a result of their negligence but they are hurting others be cause the can’t pullover to take a call or send a txt.

    ReplyDelete