1. I can get the news for free in a medium that doesn’t cause piles of unwanted news paper. The first website I check in to every day is the New Zealand Herald Online; no subscription fees, no checking the mail box (call me lazy), no touching the yucky texture of news print. After me and my flatmate subscribed to the Waikato Times on a promotional fee, the novelty wore off after a couple of weeks. We eventually stopped opening them, because rather than sifting through all the pages to find things of interest, I could narrow it precisely by the click of a mouse. I'm not sure if that it a good thing though.
2. It is instant! On the day that Michael Jackson died, I didn’t have to wait for a news paper or evening news, nope, it was all over the Internet. The surrealism of it all hit me as big as the head lines that said the King of Pop was dead. With pod casts and news updated hourly on most top news sites, there is no waiting around or relying on the 6pm television news anymore. I want it and I want it now! How could civilization have survived with waiting until tomorrow's news paper to learn about things like the bombing of Pearl Harbour or that Barack Obama won presidency! There is radio...and yes I am aware that both the examples I used were American.
3. It feeds my massive appetite for information and curiosity! Whether it be hard news, human interest stories, travel, or plain gossip, I revel in the inflow of new facts and ideas - not that I retain them long. It's like every day I have a quota that I have to fill with sometimes the most random answers. I have Googled things like 'Where do tears come from?' and 'Why is the sky blue?' I was satisfied with the knowledge of those deep and meaningful questions for those days but I can't remember the answers now. They got replaced with other things like 'Why is the meaning of life 42?' and 'Do mussels have brains?' With the Internet, the world really is at your finger tips.
No comments:
Post a Comment